Do you know someone who always looks polished and put together whether they are at work, the mall, the gym or just lounging around at home?
Why is it that some people make it look so effortless to pull together a great look every single day yet, when you try, it takes you hours to figure out just one good outfit?
As a mother of 5, I don’t have hours to spend trying to look pulled together when I walk out the door but I still want to look my best. I look for easy and simple ways to do it without wearing myself out before stepping foot outside.
I want to share 10 of my top ‘go-to’ tips to quickly and consistently pull together a polished look so you can look and feel your best everywhere you go.
- Lay out your entire outfit ahead of time. Every night before going to bed you should choose your outfit for the next day. You should lay out everything from top to bottom including shoes, jewelry, purse and pantyhose. Doing this allows you time to put a little more thought into the outfit instead of trying to throw something together as you are rushing to get out of the house.
- Buy quality pieces. Think quality not quantity. “Dress like the french women dress.” You’ve heard this again and again. There’s a reason why. Quality makes a HUGE difference! Good quality pieces lay against your body in a more flattering way. They not only look better they last longer. You should buy a few key pieces that you can mix and match easily.
- Know your style. A good way to find your style is to keep a Pinterest board of outfits that catch your eye and as you save ideas you will see what type of pieces you gravitate towards. These are the pieces you should invest the most money in. When you buy pieces you love you will wear them over and over again. (Here’s a pic of me in a couple of my favorite key pieces and I do wear them over and over again. I guarantee you will too!)
- Accessorize sparingly. It took me a while to embrace this idea. I love a little bling and have quite the jewelry collection. But taking a cue from my favorite supermodel Kate Moss I’ve learned that to look chic it’s best to keep it simple. Think less is more!
- Think comfort. Wearing shoes that are too big and slip off as you walk or jeans that are too tight and give you muffin top does not give you a pulled together look. It actually says the opposite. Take time to choose items that fit well. Want fit, comfort and style? Try a pair Cole Haan Grand.OS. These shoes are engineered with comfort, style and foot care in mind. They are amazing and come in all kinds of different styles.
- Pay attention to the coat/rain-boots/umbrella. You may not think it matters what your coat looks like because you’re taking it off once you get to your desk. Right? Wrong! You may not think your umbrella makes a difference. Wrong again! When you put a little effort into everything you wear, you will feel more confident. Attention to detail is what helps you project a more put together look. So, even IF you ARE taking that coat off once you get to your desk, pick one that compliments your outfit. And rain-boots are for more than just jumping in mud puddles, they can save those designer shoes you invested in from being ruined in a sudden downpour.
- Do the hair/makeup/nail polish! I can’t over-emphasize the power that’s in the details. Use a high quality shampoo and conditioner and a good finishing spray like Bumble and Bumble Flexible Hold. Nicely styled hair is super important. The same thing goes for makeup and nail polish. A quick touch up of lip stain or gloss and manicured nails (even just a neutral flesh tone nail color that you quickly paint on) are what give you that look that shows you care. These touches aren’t blatantly obvious, they are just the finishing touches that give you that polished look. (is that why they call it nail ‘polish’? hahaha)
- Exude confidence. When you feel confident it shows. Before you go into a meeting, for a quick boost try a power pose for 2 minutes or listen to one of your favorite upbeat tunes. It really works!
- Remember good posture. Good posture not only says you’re confident, it’s good for your back. Turtles are cute, but ‘turtle-back’ is NOT. If you work at a computer all day you are especially prone to turtle-back (aka computer-back) Don’t forget to include back strengthening exercises in your regular workout routine. Your posture can have a surprising effect on your attitude. Your mother was right, you should stand up straight!
- Smile! Last but not least remember that happy is always in style. When you smile it’s the first thing people notice. A smile will instantly elevate your look. Happy is Pretty!
You don’t have to spend a lot of money to look polished, pulled together or professional. You just need to be selective with your purchases and learn how to wear them in the most effective way.
Let’s start this week off with some fresh ideas on how to stay on top of our game starting with looking our best everyday!
Do you have any fun ideas that keep you on track even when you have little to no extra time? If you do please leave a comment!
We can use all the tips we can get. 🙂
Stay happy, stay chic!