Contemplating starting your first blog?
You may have had thoughts like:
“I can’t blog. I know nothing about creating websites or coding!”
Not true. You can blog. How do I know? Because I did it. I am generally kind of technically challenged so if I can figure it out, I have no doubts that you can too.
Here’s a little help to get you started:
- The blogging community is an invaluable resource.
- To get my blog started I signed up for Abby Lawson’s FREE 7 day blog challenge on Just a Girl and Her Blog. Each day for 7 days I got an email with step by step instructions. Couldn’t have been easier! (and did I mention it’s FREE?!) 🙂 By the end of the week I was actually blogging live!
- Abby’s challenge is perfect for newbies. It breaks the steps to building a blog into little bite sized pieces. It’s easy to digest and full of great resources.
Tip: If you sign up for the challenge, make sure you read each email carefully, maybe even twice. Don’t rush. This will save you from making some of the mistakes I made. Saves time and money in the long run.(Blog and learn! hahaha)
“I missed the boat! It’s too late for me to become a blogger.”
Are you telling yourself that you’ve missed the blogging boat? That everyone else started blogging years ago and it’s too late for you? Yes, it’s true that many people started blogging years ago, but so what! You didn’t miss the boat.
You may have missed the first boat, but there’s a big ocean out there that can carry lots and lots of boats. Besides, if you want to blog, just do it!
“Will I make money blogging?”
Maybe. That’s pretty much up to you and what you do with your blog. Making money blogging is very possible, but it’s not something you should get yourself into just to make money. You should blog because you have a passion for something and want to share it. From there, the possibilities are limitless.
Check out Tim Ferris’ interview with Shay Carl. Shay went from being a manual laborer to 2.3 Billion YouTube views. And he got his first computer at the age of 27. (You haven’t missed the boat!) He co-founded Maker Studios which sold to Disney for nearly $1 Billion. Very inspiring success story!
“I don’t have the time.”
I work full-time as a business planning analyst. I have 5 children ranging in ages from 24 to 10. I also have 3 small grandchildren who LOVE to come visit their Gigi 🙂 . And let’s not forget the husband and friends! How do I find time to blog?
I find the time just like anyone else who enjoys a sport, a hobby, plays video games or watches TV. Every Thursday night is my blog night just like every Tuesday night is my husband’s tennis night. I make time for it and you can too.
That’s the beauty of blogging. It can be done almost anywhere, anytime (day or night), and you can put in as little or as much time as you want to depending on your goals. This is why it works for me.
Here are my 4 S’s of Success:
- Set specific times for blogging. Just like you would for working out or going to dinner with someone, build it into your calendar. It may seem hard to fit it in at first but after a few weeks it will become part of your regular routine.
- Solicit support. Tell family and friends how excited you are about your new hobby and let them know how important their support is. I have found this invaluable.
- Select a blogging area. Have a designated area where you keep all of your blogging supplies. Mine sit right next to my bed. My laptop, my phone, my paper and pens. Ready to go whenever I am!
- Start now. Don’t get stuck on the small things. Do some research then get to work!
“It costs too much money to start a blog/website.”
There are many different ways to set up a blog. Some ways cost almost next to nothing. So far I’ve invested about $300 in setting mine up. (and I have to admit that everything I’ve purchased wasn’t absolutely necessary) So as you can see, you can definitely develop a blog on a budget.
If you can answer yes to any of the following questions, you should definitely start a blog:
- Do you have a passion for something that you want to share?
- Do you want a new hobby?
- Do you want to learn something new?
- Do you want to build your own business?
- Do you have dedication and determination?
Since beginning to blog I have learned so many new things. Even the IT guy at work has commented that I know a lot about website design (I don’t, but it must sound impressive when I talk about parent themes and hosting.) 🙂
One Last Thing.
Don’t forget to have fun! Blogging has been very rewarding for me. I used to hate looking at a computer screen after I would come home from work. Now I look forward to any chance I get to grab my laptop and work on my blog.
I’ve learned that I really enjoy blogging and I am excited about where this journey is taking me. It’s turned out to be the perfect hobby!
Enjoy the process. At times it can be frustrating but that’s what makes the successes all so sweet. 🙂
Do you have any good tips for starting a blog? What worked for you, what didn’t? Do you have questions about starting a blog? Please leave a comment or email me. I would love to hear them or help out in any way I can.
Cheers to Happy Blogging!